|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Date|| March 27, 2014|
Sunkanmi Ogunbiyi (also identified as Egunbiyi, aka. Suki) was a Nigerian policeman who killed at least six people and seriously wounded three others at a house in Eleweran, Nigeria on March 27, 2014, before committing suicide.
Ogunbiyi worked as a police officer, and around 2003 was attached to the Olabisi Onabanjo University where he gained some notoriety for his ruthless fight against cult groups. At the time of the murders he was attached to the State Criminal Investigation Department of the Ogun State Police Command.
Ogunbiyi was married to Oluwatosin Faremi, who also worked as a police officer, and had two children with her. He physically abused his wife, and frequently accused her of infidelity, whereupon she would often leave with their children and seek refuge at the home of Iya Basira at No. 67, Ifelodun Street. Ogunbiyi was angered by this and warned Basira several times to desist from sheltering his wife and children, but she did not take him seriously and refused to comply with his demands. The last time he threatened Basira was two weeks prior to murders.
Some time prior to the murders Ogunbiyi once again accused his wife of infidelity, and she left their home together with the children to stay at the house of Iya Basira.
On March 27, after night shift, Ogunbiyi reportedly rioted in his office, took his AK-47 service rifle and drove to Basira's home, where he hid in a bush and waited for his wife to emerge. At about 7:58 a.m. Faremi came out of the house to leave for work, wherupon he shot her dead. He also killed a okada driver named Kunle, who should pick her up, but spared his children, who were about to go to school. Ogunbiyi then entered the building, where he fatally shot Iya Basira in her sleep, before turning against the other members of her family.
Even though police only confirmed six people killed, including Faremi, Iya Basira, a 2-year-old girl, as well as two males and a female, newspapers reported there were seven fatalities, consisting of Faremi, Iya Basira, a 2-year-old girl named Jesutofunmi, who was variously decribed as her daughter, and granddaughter, Iya Basira's daughter, also named Basira, as well as her two sons named Taofeek and Sikiru. Though according to early reports Sikiru was critically injured.
After the murders Ogunbiyi handed his children to a okada driver, gave them the money in his pockets, and kissed them farewell. He then committed suicide. Besides the six or seven people killed three others were wounded and brought to the Federal Medical Center in Abeokuta, where two of them reportedly died of their wounds.
- Oluwatosin Faremi, his wife
- Iya Basira
- Basira, daughter of Iya Basira
- Jesutofunmi, 2, Iya Basira's daughter/granddaugther
- Sikiru, son of Iya Basira
- Taofeek, son of Iya Basira
Those wounded were:
- Funmi Ali, 33, shot in the stomach
- Toheeb Sanusi, 10, grandson of Iya Basira, shot in the back and left side
- Sikirulai Wahab, 27, shot in the left arm and back
- ↑ Tragedy: Police corporal kills self, wife, five others, Osun Defender (March 27, 2014)
- ↑ Police corporal kills self, wife, six others, New Telegraph (March 28, 2014)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Cop who killed six and committed suicide, Nigeria Pilot (April 12, 2014)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Policeman kills wife, five others, commits suicide, The Punch (March 28, 2014)
- ↑ Why wife of killer cop fled home – Police, The Punch (April 5, 2014)
- ↑ Wild Policeman Kills Wife, Kid, 4 Others, P.M. News (March 27, 2014)
- ↑ Police Officer Kills Wife, and 6 other In Abeokuta Ogun State, rockcitygist.com (March 27, 2014)
- ↑ Policeman runs amok, kills wife, 5 others, self, Vanguard (March 28, 2014)
- ↑ Police corporal kills self, wife, five others, The Nation (March 27, 2014)
- ↑ Police Corporal Said To Have Run Amok Before Killing Wife, Others, P.M. News (March 27, 2014)
- ↑ Nigerian police officer kills self, wife, five others over marital dispute, Premium Times (March 27,2014)
- ↑ Our escape from Ogun murderous cop, an act of God- Survivors, The Nation (March 30, 2014)
- Madness In Ogun Stata! See How Police Officer Kills His Wife, Landlady & Childen, Self And Others, Pakurumo Entertainment (March 28, 2014)
- Exclusive! Behold! Pictures Of Policeman Who Killed Himself, Wife, Five Others; Wife Picture Also, The Gazelle News (March 28, 2014)
- ‘Ogun Killer cop finished off six out of nine persons on his watch list…then took his life’, National Mirror (March 30, 2014)