|Birth name||Ronald Baquiran Bae|
|Born|| November 9, 1971|
|Cause of death||Shot by police|
|Date|| January 4, 2013|
9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
|Location(s)||Tabon 1, Kawit, Cavite, Philippines|
|Weapon(s)||Colt 1911 semiautomatic pistol|
Ronald Baquiran Bae was a Filipino who killed seven people and wounded twelve others with a semiautomatic pistol in barangay Tabon 1 in Kawit, Philippines on January 4, 2013, before he was shot and killed by police. Another man, 27-year-old John Paul Lopez, who was said to have been employed by Bae as his house caretaker, was later arrested for assisting him by reloading his pistol magazine.
Bae was born on November 9, 1971.
The shooting began just after 9:00 a.m., when 41-year-old Bae, together with Lopez, entered a store and asked the three Caimol children, among them his godchild Ken Cedric Caimol, for a man named Berto. When they replied that Berto was not there, Bae drew a .45-caliber Colt 1911 and shot at the children, killing 7-year-old Michaella, and seriously wounding her brother and sister.
Bae and Lopez then left the store and, while running through the street, Bae fired at anyone in his path, while Lopez would reload his pistol when he ran out of bullets. Thus he first killed Alberto Fernandez and his dog, who were standing at the porch, then a pregnant woman named Rhea de Vera with a shot in the stomach, as well as her 3-year-old daughter John Monica. Also killed was taho vendor Al Dorio, while his brother Antonio was wounded with a shot in the back.
Afterwards Bae returned to his home, where soon police arrived and asked him to surrender, though the gunman started shooting at police, until he was eventually killed when officers returned fire. Overall the shooting had lasted for about 30 minutes. Lopez on the other hand disappeared after the shooting, and a reward of 100,000P was offered for information that would lead to his arrest, though he eventually surrendered himself to police and was taken into custody.
- Michaella Andrea Caimol, 7
- Rhea de Vera y Alberto, 34, pregnant
- John Monica de Vera, 3, daughter of Rhea de Vera
- Alberto Fernandez y Jaminal, 55
- Irene Funelas, 40
- Al Dorio, 20
- Boyet Toledo, 44
Another person named Adoracion Cabrera was also reported killed by the Cavite provincial government.
Among those wounded were: Baby Anolacion, 33, Emelinda Aquepel y De Vella, 41, Enrique Aquipel, Cheveri Jaminal Ayson, Jemerlen Ayson, 46, Dovie Cabrera y Magsino, 66, Ken Cedric Caimol, 3, Michelle Caimol, 2, Ricky Diola Dumip-ig, 17, Antonio Dorio, 15, Maricel Pajal, 27, Raul Ravelo, 73 and Kevin Magarago Vallada, 6.
After Lopez had hinted to investigators that Bae had already killed other people in previous years and buried their bodies around his house, police searched the area and unearthed the skeletal remains of a human being. According to Lopez they belonged to Teodulo Villanueva, a former helper of Bae, whom he murdered in 2003 for duping him in connection with his fighting cocks.
- ↑ Nine dead after drunk man’s shooting rampage in Philippines, New York Daily News (January 4, 2013)
- ↑ 7 dead,11 wounded in Cavite shooting rampage; gunman killed, GMA News (January 4, 2013)
- ↑ Man who reloaded Filipino shooter's gun charged, CBS News (January 5, 2013)
- ↑ Kawit gunman's wife speaks as reloader surrenders, Solar News (January 4, 2013)
- ↑ Kawit gunman: Good neighbor with mysterious past, Solar News (January 7, 2013)
- ↑ ‘My ninong shot me’, Philippine Daily Inquirer (January 5, 2013)
- ↑ Cops eye murder raps vs gunman’s cohort, Philippine Daily Inquirer (January 5, 2013)
- ↑ Kawit rampage: Gunman kills 7, wounds 8, The Philippine Star (January 5, 2013)
- ↑ Progress report re shooting (amok) incident, NDRRMC
- ↑ Police urged to probe late response on Cavite shooting, Sun.Star (January 6, 2013)
- ↑ Skeletal remains found in Kawit killer’s backyard, The Philippine Star (January 16, 2013)