|Monte Aprazível amok case|
|Date|| December 18, 1936|
|Location(s)||Monte Aprazível, Brazil|
On December 18, 1936 a Brazilian farmer supposedly killed 16 people in Monte Aprazível, Brazil. A Japanese colonist named Fiorky had caught the man's 10-year-old son in his orchard stealing fruit and cut off his hand with an axe. The boy returned home, told his father about the incident, and died shortly thereafter, whereupon the farmer took a shotgun and hid by the roadside, shooting every Japanese passing by. He was arrested by police after shooting dead 16 of them, including the sons of the man who had killed his son.
According to some reports the farmer shot dead every Japanese passing by, because he had difficulties of recognizing Fiorky, the Japanese colonist who killed his son. Another report states that the farmer first killed the Japanese colonist, then murdered every member of the family of Fiorky, among them four children and three women.
The story, which was widely published by newspapers, was later found to be baseless. The newspaper O Jornal contacted the regional police station of Rio Preto, inquiring about the incident, and the respective authorities declared that the incident lacked veracity and nothing abnormal had happened in Monte Aprazível, or Novo Oriente.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Tragedia alucinante em Ribeirão Preto, Diario da Noite (December 18, 1936)
- ↑ 10 Japanese Are Killed By a Crazed Brazilian, The New York Times (December 19, 1936)
- ↑ Father's revenge, The Age (December 21, 1936)
- ↑ Son slain, farmer kills 16 Japs, Leader-Post (December 19, 1936)
- ↑ Crazed father, The Examiner (December 21, 1936)
- ↑ Brazil farmer takes revenge for death of son, Lethbridge Herald (December 19, 1936)
- ↑ Buitenlandsche Telegrammen - Vendetta, Het nieuws van den dag voor Nederlandsch-Indië (December 21, 1936)
- ↑ De wraak eens vaders, De Sumatra Post (December 29, 1936)
- ↑ Mata a dieziséis japoneses para vengar la muerte de un hijo, La Voz (December 20, 1936)
- ↑ Para vengar la muerte de un hijo mata a diez y seis japoneses, El Sol (December 21, 1936)
- ↑ Vingou o filho em uma sangueira, Lavoura e Commercio (December 19, 1936)
- ↑ Matou 16 Japonezes, O Imparcial (December 20, 1936)
- ↑ Um lavrador, em São Paulo..., Pequeno Jornal : Jornal Pequeno (December 19, 1936)
- ↑ A terrivel chacina que se teria verificado em "Novo Oriente", O Jornal (December 19, 1936)
- Numa semana – Em Jaboticabal..., A Vanguarda : semanário independente, literário e noticioso (December 20, 1936)