|Michel Van Wijnendaele|
|Birth name||Michel Van Wijnendaele|
|Born|| ca. 1959|
May 12, 1987
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Date|| May 12, 1987|
2 p.m. – 7 p.m.
|Location(s)||Bogaarden & Denderwindeke, Belgium|
Van Wijnendaele was married and had a son named Bart. He had worked at a bank in Brussels until April 1, 1987, and wanted to become a professional cyclist.
At approximately 2:00 p.m. on May 12, 1987, Van Wijnendaele, armed with a .22-caliber rifle, entered a farm in Bogaarden, where he shot dead Jean Baptiste and Margriet Nechelput, their daughter, Liliane Decrem, her husband, Edgard, as well as their son Christian, and the family's dog, and also wounded Guy, another son of the Decrem's with a shot in the stomach after a short scuffle. At a neighbouring farm he killed Marie-Thérèse Derycke-Walraevens and her son Ludovic. It is unknown if they were killed prior to the murder of the Decrems, or afterwards for witnessing the shooting. Van Wijnendaele then fled the scene in his Opel Kadett, and while police set up roadblocks to capture the gunman, he made his way to Denderwindeke, where he shot and wounded his father-in-law Elie Schepens, and his grandmother-in-law three or four hours later.
Van Wijnendaele was eventually spotted by police in Brugelette, as he was filling his car at a gas station. A car chase ensued that ended at about 7:00 p.m. when the 28-year-old was cornered by police in Sirault, near Mons, whereupon he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.
- Jean Baptiste Nechelput, 90
- Margriet Nechelput, 84, wife of Jean Baptiste Nechelput
- Liliane Decrem, 46, daughter of Jean Baptiste and Margriet Nechelput
- Edgard Decrem, 54, husband of Liliane Decrem
- Christian Decrem, 20, son of Liliane and Edgar Decrem
- Marie-Thérèse Derycke-Walraevens, 37
- Ludovic Derycke, 3, son of Marie-Thérèse Derycke-Walraevens
Among those wounded were Elie Schepens and Guy Decrem, 24.
- ↑ Gunman Kills 7 in Belgium, The New York Times (May 13, 1987)
- ↑ Amok: Sieben Tote und dann Selbstmord, Hamburger Abendblatt (May 13, 1987)
- ↑ Wielrenner doodde zeven onschuldige mensen, Limburgsch Dagblad (May 14, 1984)
- ↑ Gunman kills himself after Belgian massacre, The Times (May 13, 1987)
- ↑ Unemployed Man Kills Seven, Then Himself, Associated Press (May 12, 1987)
- ↑ Gunman on the rampage kills seven, The Glasgow Herald (May 13, 1987)
- ↑ Man pleegt zelfmoord na dooden zeven mensen, Provinciale Zeeuwse Courant (May 13, 1987)
- ↑ Belg schiet zeven mensen dood en pleegt zelfmoord, Leidsch Dagblad (May 13, 1987)
- ↑ Bogaarden (Pepingen), De Standaard (July 27, 2006)