|Cause of death||Killed|
|Date|| December 13/23, 1873|
|Location(s)||Ternate, Dutch East Indies|
On the afternoon of December 13, at approximately 3 p.m., Magu escaped from prison and went to the bazaar where he bought some tobacco. For unknown reasons he suddenly drew his knife and stabbed 19 people, most of them women and children, and afterwards fled into the wilderness of the mountains. Of his victims ten died the same day, while five more succumbed to their injuries the following, for a total of 15 fatalities, though according to some sources 22 people were stabbed 19 of whom died. Among those wounded was a child which was stabbed twice.
Magu was sought by a total of 250 men, including milita and the sultan's followers, and a bounty of 100 guilders was issued for his capture either dead or alive, however, he was not caught for ten days, a time during which the locals feared for his return. By sunset they barricaded themselves in their homes, guards were doubled, and patrols traversed the area.
Finally, on December 23 Magu broke into a farmer's house near Ternate, whereby he was observed by a young man. The lad's cries for help alarmed his father, who briefly managed to get hold of him, but Magu broke free, inflicted three slight wounds on the old man during the struggle and also injured one or two other mountaineers who had rushed to the scene. He was eventually killed by the sultan's men, who were already nearby, his body was mutilated, and decapitated. The head was then taken by a large procession to the Resident Musschenbroek to claim the reward and afterwards thrown into the sea.
- ↑ Nederlandsche Kolonien - Den 13en December..., Algemeen Handelsblad (March 10, 1873)
- ↑ Den 13den December, Delftsche Courant (March 11, 1874)
- ↑ Nieuwstijdingen - Indie, Zierikzeesche Nieuwsbode (March 14, 1874)
- ↑ Items from the Java papers - A most dreadful case of amok..., The Straits Times (February 21, 1874)
- ↑ Short News - A most dreadful case of amok..., Straits Times Overland Journal (February 26, 1874)
- ↑ Men shrifji ons uit Ternate, dato 7 Januari, Java-Bode (January 29, 1874)
- ↑ Een telegram van den resident van Ternate..., Java-Bode (February 16, 1873)
- ↑ Gemengd Nieuws - Op den 13n Dec., Het nieuws van den dag (March 12, 1874)