|Occupation||Snack shop employee|
|Born|| ca. 1955|
August 1987 (aged 31)
|Cause of death||Executed|
|Penalty||Sentenced to death|
|Date|| June 4, 1987|
|Location(s)||Fuzhou, People's Republic of China|
Lin, a 31-year-old married woman, had an affair with a former co-worker named Xie Wenquan (谢文泉) with whom she plotted to poison her husband. On May 31, 1987 Xie bought Methamidophos for this purpose, but their plan failed for unknown reasons.
On June 4, due to a dispute with a man surnamed Tang (唐), a subcontractor of the snack shop, over wages and other things, Yin sprinkled the latter's rice cakes with poison in an attempt to frame him. The following day Tang delivered the cake to the Fuzhou Xindian Central Elementary School (福州市新店中心小学) where it was cut into 1070 pieces and served to the students and staff, resulting in the poisoning of 186 people. Six of them were taken to hospital in serious condition where they could be rescued.
Lin was arrested on June 13, tried at the Fuzhou Intermediate People's Court (福州市中级人民法院), convicted of attempted murder, sentenced to death, and deprived of her political rights for life. She filed an appeal to the Fujian Provincial Higher People's Court (福建省高级人民法院) which dismissed it on August 18 and upheld the original verdict.
- ↑ 1987年福建大事记, fujian.gov.cn
- ↑ 184人险被毒杀 福州一女子 下毒被枪决, Lianhe Wanbao (August 17, 1987)
- ↑ 福州枪决一名食物下毒女犯, Lianhe Zaobao (August 18, 1987)
- ↑ 林月榕投毒案, nglssl.com (July 13, 2006)
- ↑ 福州小学生食物中毒案破获投毒犯林月榕落入法网，中毒小学生大部康复, ziliaoku.org (June 14, 1987)
- ↑ China woman dies for poisoning 186, Hazleton Standard-Speaker (August 17, 1987)
- ↑ Woman executed for poisoning 186 people, Poughkeepsie Journal (August 17, 1987)