|Born|| ca. 1948|
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Date|| April 30/May 1, 1974|
11 p.m. – 2 a.m.
|Location(s)||Kimpo, South Korea|
Kim Won-je (Korean: 김원제) was a Korean paratrooper who killed ten people and wounded three others, one of them seriously, in Kimpo, South Korea during the night from April 30 to May 1, 1974.
That night Pfc. Kim drank together with a friend at a tavern near the quarters of his unit, but when they got into a quarrel at about 11 p.m., Kim ran back to the barracks, took a carbine, and began shooting at the soldiers in their beds, killing two of them.
He then chased some of the fleeing soldiers towards a village, where he killed Hyun Hak-yong, his wife, and daughter, when they went out of their house to investigate, and afterwards returned to barracks. There he fired at a group of soldiers who had responded to the alert, killing his platoon leader, second lieutenant Lee Sung-bom, as well as another soldier, and seriously wounding two more. Kim also killed two other soldiers, before seeking refuge in an aircraft bunker. For the next three hours the 25-year-old held 200 soldiers and police at bay who had surrounded the building, but eventually committed suicide.
- Second lieutenant Lee Sung-bom (이승범)
- Corporal An Hyo-yong (안효용)
- Private An Yun-hwan (안윤환)
- Private Bae Jong-hwan (배종환)
- Private Ha Kyung-jin (하경진)
- Private Im Kyung-yong (임경용)
- Private Kim Song-jin (김성진)
- Hyun Hak-yong (현학용), 55
- Hyun Kum-ok (현금옥), Hyun's wife
- Hyun Hwa-sun (현화순), 17, Hyun's daughter
- ↑ Soldier in Seoul Kills Nine, The New York Times (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ Drunk soldier kills 9, The Sydney Morning Herald (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ Soldier kills 9, and himself, The Canberra Times (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ Drunken paratrooper slays 9, Chicago Tribune (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ 만취병사 카빈 난동 사망 10명, The Chosun Ilbo (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ Berserk Pfc. kills 9 ROKs, Pacific Stars and Stripes (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ Korea soldier kills 9 on drunken spree, Santa Ana Register (May 1, 1974)
- ↑ 9 killed as drunken skyman runs wild, The Straits Times (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ Tentara amok: 9 mati ditembak termasuk 3 orang awam, Berita Harian (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ 10th Victim Dies In Shooting Spree, Pacific Stars and Stripes (May 5, 1974)
- ↑ 사망 10명, The Dong-a Ilbo (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ South Korean Gl Kills Nine, Cumberland News (May 2, 1974)
- ↑ 사병, 심야에 9명사살, Kyunghyang Shinmun (May 1, 1974)
- ↑ 만취사병 심야 난동 9명 사살, The Dong-a Ilbo (May 1, 1974)