|Jhonny José Gómez Romero|
|Born|| ca. 1967|
|Date|| January 19, 1987|
That night Gómez, a member of the counterinsurgency corps, was standing guard at the gate of the military casino. At 3 a.m. he asked another soldier to be relieved, because he had to go to the toilet, but instead of the bathroom he went to his barracks and opened fire at the sleeping soldiers with a submachine gun. Afterwards the 19-year-old escaped to the village Río Caribe, where he tried to rent a boat to escape to Trinidad, but the owner of the vessel distrusted him and drove off, whereupon Gómez Romero opened fire. The shots missed its target, but alerted a policeman, already informed about the murders, who then arrested him.
- Sergeant Sein Figuera
- Corporal Aníbal Avila
- Corporal Darío Crisanto Serrano
- Corporal Ivan José Ricardo
- Corporal Domingo López
- José Manuel Perales
Wounded were Alan Nuñez, Guara Luna, and Alcídes Servando Cedeña.
- ↑ Soldier kills six, The Bulletin (January 19, 1987)
- ↑ Venezuelan Soldier Kills Mates, Los Angeles Times (January 19, 1987)
- ↑ Venezuela soldier kills 6 comrades, Chicago Tribune (January 20, 1987)
- ↑ Hace un cuarto de siglo - Masacre en cuartel de Cumaná, La Nación (January 15, 2012)
- ↑ Soldado mata a seis de sus compañeros, El Tiempo (January 20, 1987)