April 11, 2014
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Date|| April 11, 2014|
That morning Amanyire, a private of the UPDF attached to Rhino Battalion at Kanyansi barracks, was talking to a woman in Karugutu trading center. When he was confronted by a boda-boda cyclist about the converstation, both claimed to be the lover of the woman, which resulted in an argument, and eventually a fight between the two. The driver was soon helped by several of his colleagues, and together they beat Amaniyre, destroyed his mobile phone, and warned him to never talk to the woman again. The soldier threatened to take revenge.
At 9 p.m. the same night Amanyire encountered several of the boda-boda riders at the Ismail Night Club in Karugutu Town Council, and again a scuffle ensued between the drunk men. Amanyire was pushed out of the bar, and enraged, and bruised by the fight, he went back to the nearby barracks, grabbed his assault rifle, and returned to the club. At around 10 p.m. he opened fire at the revellers there, shooting at anyone who crossed his path, before he finally committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest near the exit of the pub.
Besides Amanyire three soldiers died at the scene, while one more later died at Buhinga Hospital. Additionally five civilians, three women and two men, were reported killed, though only four of them were named in the news articles. 25 people, among them several soldiers, were wounded and taken to hospital, where five of them, three women and two men, were said to be in critical condition.
Among those killed were:
- Alex Saturday, soldier
- Mark Kirungi, soldier
- Naboth Natuhwera, soldier
- Ndugu Kidwidwi, soldier
- Mbambu Kyakimwa
- Godfrey Alleluya
Various sources also identifed the following fatalities:
Among the injured were Robert Tomanya, Bonani, Moses, and Arituha, all four of them privates of the UPDF, as well as Muhindo and Rosset Kabbu.
- ↑ Soldier kills 9 in brawl over woman, Independent Online (April 13, 2014)
- ↑ Soldier shoots 10 dead, injures 25 over woman, The Herald (April 14, 2014)
- ↑ Soldado ugandense mata 10 pessoas e fere 25 ao abrir fogo em bar, Globo.com (April 13, 2014)
- ↑ Jaloerse soldaat doodt 10 Ugandezen in bar, De Telegraaf (April 13, 2014)
- ↑ How UPDF Soldier Killed 10, Injured 25, Chimpreports.com (April 12, 2014)
- ↑ UPDF Soldier Kills 9 In Ntoroko, Red Pepper (April 13, 2014)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 UPDF soldier shoots 10 dead over woman, Sunday Monitor (April 13, 2014)
- ↑ Ugandan soldier shoots 10 dead at clash over woman, The Citizen (April 14, 2014)
- ↑ UPDF Soldier Shoots 9 Dead In Ntoroko, ugandaradionetwork.com (April 12, 2014)
- ↑ Army pays families of Ntoroko shooting victims Shs45m, Daily Monitor (April 13, 2014)
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 UPDF esasulidde okuziika abantu 9 abattidwa omujaasi, Bukedde (April 14, 2014)