|Alain Abdallah Lemba|
Lemba at the military court in Matadi.
|Born|| ca. 1984|
|Penalty||Sentenced to death|
|Date|| May 4, 2013|
|Location(s)||Mongo, Democratic Republic of the Congo|
That night Lemba attended a funeral in the village and became drunk. At about 10 p.m. he was ordered by major Simini Musema of the armed forces to pay the bill for his beverages, but he refused and began shooting the other attendees at close range, killing six people on the spot, including Musema, and wounding six or seven others, one who reportely died a few hours later. After the shooting the 28-year-old fled and the military started a search operation that eventually resulted in his arrest.
Lemba's trial at the military court of the garrison in Matadi commenced on May 13, where he was charged with the killing of six people – one of those intially reported dead was apparently in coma – assault and battery. He admitted to firing twenty shots after being beaten by the other villagers, but he denied any intention to kill, stating that he was drunk and thought he would fire into the air. He also asked the families of the victims for forgiveness. A request by the defense to evaluate his mental health was dismissed.
On May 15 Lemba was found guilty of the aforementioned charges and sentenced to death. Additionally he was degraded and expelled from the armed forces, and fined to pay US$ 1.5 million to the victims' families and the population. Furthermore the Congolese state was found liable for the shooting and sentenced to pay a similar fine. Lemba appealed to the verdict.
- ↑ Bas-Congo : un sergent ivre tue sept personnes à Songololo, Radio Okapi (May 6, 2013)
- ↑ Bas-Congo: un sergent ivre tue sept personnes à Songololo, direct.cd (May 6, 2013)
- ↑ Bas-Congo: un sergent ivre tue sept personnes à Songololo , 7sur7.cd (May 7, 2013)
- ↑ Tribunal militaire de garnison de Matadi: Le mea culpa du présumé assassin de six personnes, infobascongo.net (May 13, 2013)
- ↑ Matadi – Début du procès du sergent des FARDC accusé de meurtre à Songololo, Le Congolais (May 15, 2013)
- ↑ Matadi: le sergent Alain Lemba poursuivi pour meurtre de six personnes plaide coupable, digitalcongo.net (May 16, 2013)
- ↑ Bas-Congo: un militaire condamné à la peine capitale pour meurtre de six personnes, direct.cd (May 17, 2013)
- ↑ Nduizi: Abdallah Lemba condamné à la peine capitale, infobascongo.net (May 15, 2013)