|Abdul Emir Khalaf Sabhan|
|Cause of death||Suicide|
|Date|| August 26, 2003|
11 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
That morning two of Sabhan's children, named Zeinab and Ali, visited a neighbour, and shortly after their return home, at around 11 a.m., said neighbour's grandchildren heard shots from Sabhan's house. When the woman went to investigate she saw a man running agitatedly from the building, shouting: "They are all finished!", but when she knocked on the door Sabhan opened, cigarette in mouth, and told her that everything was fine and she should go back home. Half an hour later the children again heard gunshots, and when alarmed neighbours entered the building they found the entire family dead inside, all of them killed with shots to their heads from an AK-47 assault rifle.
Three of Sabhan's children, among them a 3-year-old girl, were discovered in the kitchen, and his wife and baby lay dead in the bathroom, while six male relatives of Sabhan, among them two of his uncles, were shot in a downstairs room. After the murders Sabhan had committed suicide in the living room by shooting himself through the head.
The reason for the murders is not known, but one neighbour had noticed a change in Sabhan the week prior to the murders, relating that he had appeared nervous and seemed to have a problem he didn't want to talk about.
- ↑ Shoemaker kills 10 in rampage, news24.com (August 27, 2003)
- ↑ Baghdad shoemaker kills 11 family members, turns gun on himself, Lebanon.com (August 27, 2003)
- ↑ Baghdad shoemaker kills 11 family members, turns gun on himself, Agence France-Presse (August 27, 2003)
- ↑ إسكافي في بغداد يقتل 11 فردا من أسرته ثم ينتحر, aawsat.com (August 28, 2003)
- ↑ مذبحة عائلية تودي بحياة 12 عراقيا, alyaum.com (August 28, 2003)